After World War I, the Juodupė parish was formed from parts of the Onuškis and Rokiškis parishes. In 1923, this task was entrusted to Father P. Vainauskas, but due to difficulties acquiring land for the future parish, it was not completed. Bishop K. Paltarokas faced the same land ownership issues in 1926 while making efforts to establish the parish.

In 1934, with the help of parishioners and the support of the Land Reform Department, Father J. Bubas, the vicar of Rokiškis, secured land and built a wooden chapel measuring 18 meters by 6 meters. On September 20, 1936, it was consecrated in honor of the Mother of God of the Gate of Dawn. Father J. Bubas was appointed rector. On August 10, 1937, the Juodupė parish was officially established by Bishop K. Paltarokas. Under Father J. Bubas’s guidance, in 1938, according to the project by Rokiškis district engineer P. Lėlis, a wooden, cruciform, three-nave, single-tower church in Renaissance style was constructed. The altar was built by A. Leviška from Šiauliai. The main altar was decorated with a painting of St. Casimir praying before the altar of the Mother of God of the Gate of Dawn, with an image of the martyr St. Julia above. The artist of the paintings was V. Palaima (1911–1976). One of the side altars featured a Baroque-style crucifix, brought from the chapel at the home of the parish priest P. Legeckas in Pienionių Manor (now in Anykščiai district). The second side altar contained a painting of St. Anthony, also painted by V. Palaima. On October 16, 1938, the dean of Rokiškis, Canon J. Žitkevičius (1892–1978), consecrated the church. The old church stood on a small hill near the current cemetery.

As World War II was ending, in July 30, 1944, as the Germans were retreating, the Juodupė church caught fire and was completely destroyed, including all liturgical items, just six years after its construction.

A temporary chapel was set up in the old school building, but the Soviet authorities ordered its removal. Construction of a new church on the old church’s foundation was halted. The decision was then made to convert the rectory’s barn into a church: windows were added, floors were laid, and walls decorated.

In 1987, a fire again damaged the church, which had been repaired by Father P. Sabaliauskas. In the restored church, which still stands today, parquet floors were installed, the ceilings were decorated, and the walls were panelled, adorned with stained glass windows. The main altar and two side altars are of little artistic value. A lightweight, tower-shaped bell tower was set up in the corner of the churchyard.

Address & Contact

Our Address

P. Cvirkos St. 10, Juodupės

GPS

56.081956518646, 25.60374423397